10.18.2011

D.I.Y - give an old sweater a new look.

I figured it was about time I sneak another doily do.it.yourself project in here again.  My delight for doily & lace just keeps me inventing new ways to wear them!  So if you have an old sweater that you want to give a new look to... may I recommend the delicate.delightful.doily.decal?

 You will need:
+ one sweater
+ your choice of doilies
+ sewing machine
+ pins

I opted to pin the two larger doilies onto the side of my sweater... 
just enough pins to hold them in place while I shove the sweater through my sewing machine.

 Check out my 'officially 6 months now' baby belly.. I mean, my doily elbows!
You're best to put the sweater on and then pin the doilies to where your elbows would be in the sleeves... you know, like elbow patches - but fancier.

The elbow doilies need to be hand stitched (unless you have a magic sewing machine that fits up sleeves)... the larger sweater doilies can be put through the sewing machine.

Now revel, revel in yet another way to upcycle your grannie's doilies.
[And, yes, that is my lace&leather neck.laces I also make.sell ($15)... in case you wondered!]
Guess what?  I still haven't run out of doilies yet from that past project (doily table runner) that my husband vetoed.... so you're going to see another, cuter, version of this d.i.y on Thursday's small style post! ;o)

Feel free to e-mail me pictures/links if you adapt this project.. I'd love to see your new look for an old sweater!
Craftily yours,
Mel ;o)

3 comments:

  1. my_girl_thursday18 October 2011 at 21:34

    This is such a sweet idea Mel!  And I really dig that elbow patch idea.  I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for perfect tiny doilies for such a project.  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks Chantilly!  Would love to see it if you do.... though I know you're up to your elbows in a pile of creativity/house decor etc! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my_girl_thursday18 October 2011 at 23:15

    Indeed.  But there's no reason those elbows can't be pretty too, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!